Patrick O’Malley’s Perfect Irish Coffee Recipe
For our Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day party, our good friend Patrick O’Malley of Infusion Coffee & Tea Crafters shared with us his award-winning recipe for the world’s best Irish Coffee. Here it is, in all its glory:
- 1.5 oz. Irish whiskey (Patrick likes his peat-smoked, but you can use any variety)
- .5 oz. Irish cream
- .5 oz. Bourbon Barrel Burundi syrup (made with Infusion Bourbon Barrel Burundi espresso, maple syrup, and honey)
- 15g fresh-ground coffee (an Ethiopian variety works best)
- Fresh whipped cream (10 oz. heavy cream, .5 oz Irish cream, .5 oz black raspberry liquor)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Pour the coffee using a drip infusion. Patrick recommends keeping your water at 196° F and pouring over the coffee at regular intervals. It should take about 2.5 minutes, and you should end up with 10 ounces of coffee.
- While you’re pouring the coffee, add 0.5 oz. syrup. This allows the syrup to warm with the glass, and won’t bring down the temperature of the coffee later.
- Once your glass is filled with coffee, add 0.5 oz. Irish cream. Stir to mix.
- Add 1.5 oz. Irish whiskey, Leaving a bit of room at the top of the glass for your whipped cream.
- Add whipped cream to the top of the glass.